Superchargers, EFI & TwinSparks

A note to Eric Storhok and his $2003 Challenge supercharger project. Did
a check of superchargers on eBay. Six items - five were the same + a
fellow is selling a pair of superchargers for $1600 from a (oh gosh
forget the year) 3.8 Thunderbird - item #1853978590. It has nine days to
go, no bids. If I felt these blowers would work, had the cash, I'd be
tempted to offer say $1800 to close bidding early. They supposedly have
less than 500 miles on them and sell new for $3k each. If all worked as
planned, sell one for $1500 and one then has a pretty new $300 blower.
I'm Guessing Eaton. One very fuzzy photo.

Jim Steck sent me a series of emails, answering many of my questions
(not that they ever really end). Since Jim didn't say don't reprint, I'm
going to but on my website. He seems more than willing to do a complete
'system' for someone. Since you'd need to contact him, I'll include his
return email contact. Should someone work with Jim - or anyone else out
there - please keep me in the loop.

Jim offers some rough figures for the equipment + additional for an air
to water intercooler. He appears to prefer working on 'more power is
better' projects. My interest for 175 HP (at the rear wheels) as I've
explained, is to be able to install the engine in a client's car without
the need to seriously need to begin R & D-ing the rest of the drivetrain
and brakes. I'm surmising 175 would please most anyone used to a stock
4-cylinder Alfa engine, might be slightly less expensive and less noisy,
and hopefully fairly civilized. Yup, know a bunch of you love the idea
of a very hairy engine in your car and are willing to put up with
virtually any inconveniences. I'm not willing to have a client bring his
car back every week with a new problem - and doubt if they'd like it in
the long run either.

Should I not hear back from Jim, assume he's okay with my including the
emails on my site. When I get it onto my site I'll include the URL.
Shoot, let's name it now -
http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSSteckSCInfo.html

Jim, how difficult as well as advantages would it be to mount the blower
where the Spica normally would be and 'blow up'? The two advantages that
have been pointed out is the short 'run' to the intake, the early Alfas
mounted the blower in this location (tradition), and also leaves the
exhaust side free - especially if someone wants to also have an AC
compressor. Yeah, I realize it would be a pulley nightmare.

It's 12:32 pm Sunday Pacific time. Might not get it up until tomorrow.
Copy / paste emails don't transfer well to PageMill.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA