Re: Turbos are ugly

Turbos are ugly. The best "finish" for a red hot turbo is bare iron. So they always look industrial.

Superchargers are by far the easier way to boost a stock engine. Putting a turbo on a car without opening her up and dropping the compression ratio is just an invitation to melted pistons or a cracked cylinder head or both.

Electronic engine management is the only way to get turbos to work properly, well beyond all but the most sophisticated enthusiast to attempt. Supe's can general be installed at satisfactorily low boost levels to a stock engine and work fine, just so long as super high outputs are not looked for. With a turbo, super high output is the point! Low pressure turbos require even more careful engine management as the turbo will naturally overboost without proper wastegate control (though SAAB has cleverly designed a low pressure turbo requiring no wastegate with suitable engine management and an electronic throttle control.

Finally, there is nothing that can compare to a properly set up one throat per cylinder Weber induction system for esthetics. Both the sound and the driving feel of properly set up multiple Webers is beyond compare. (Well, Del Orto or Solex also sound and feel fine if properly done)

Cheers

Michael Turbo Mad Smith

PS caring for a turbo is not as finicky as it appears. I always start the engine before putting my seatbelt and sunglasses on. By then the oil is circulating. I am used to driving in a very cold climate so babying the engine until the temp gauge reads is second nature to me. As for cool down, well, idling while the garage door opens is usually enough unless you've really been flogging it right up to the door!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L