totally off-topic question (thermocouple)

Can anyone tell me what a thermocouple transmitter does? Does it hook up to a thermocouple and provide a signal that I could read with a voltmeter?

Alfa content: I want to measure temperatures in my Alfa.

Not off topic then... ;-)

Basic thermocouple 101:

A thermocouple is made with two dissimilar metals, the junction will generate a small voltage proportional to the temperature. It's a very tiny voltage, so you need to amplify it to something more easily readable.

Also, you need to calibrate it, if you want your meter to read directly in degrees, so that's the other function of a transmitter. (or whatever you want to call it) Different types of thermocouple will have different degree/millivolt curves, so you need to have the proper type and calibration matched up.

Then you have a probe, going to a box, to your gauge or multimeter, that will read out something that makes sense to you, like .100 v = 100 degrees.

Hope it helps!

Jon