RE: 164 a sports sedan?

Hey Michael,

I take your troll and raise you....

> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:04:38 -0600
> From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
> Subject: 164 a sports sedan?
>
> I am not especially objective but I can tell you that a 164 is
> definitely
> NOT a sports sedan.

Tell that to the 164 that races in the UK and is regularly competing for
points. Designed to be a luxury executive express, the 164 also makes a fine
sports saloon, especially in 3.0 24 valve V6 form. Very, very quick.

> The Milano is.
>
> The BMW 3 series is (especially the M3!) and the  2002 is (especially
> the
> Tii or the turbo). The Berlina is though the giulia and giulietta
> versions
> (especially the TI) are more sports sedan than the bigger Alfas.

I firmly believe that, especially compared to the 164, the current BMW
3-series, does not constitute a sports saloon. Forget "Ultimate", I couldn't
wait to dump the 330i I was driving. The M3 is, of course, an exception.

> Mercedes does not and never has built a sports sedan.

Um. Ever tried a 300 SEL 6.3, E500, 190 2.3/2.5-16 or EVO? I would wager you
haven't. Again, neither were built by MB as "Sports Sedans". They do,
however, easily cope with the title. After all, how could a mid-size
Mercedes fitted with a 5 litre V8, uprated brakes/suspension and built by
Porsche not be sporting? Alois Ruf's daily driver is an E500. I suspect he
believes it's a sports saloon.

No North American
> manufacturer has come close to offering a sports sedan, except possibly
> the
> interesting Mondeo (Contour) SVT.

In the US, this may be true. What about the Taurus SHO? I've never driven
one, so I don't know. The European arm(s) of American makers, however, have
created a long string of worth sports saloons. Lotus Cortina, Vauxhall/Opel
Manta, Lotus (Vauxhall) Carlton, Carlton 3.0 V6 etc.

Cadillac STS? he he.... had to get that one in....

> I really love the way my 164 drives, but it ain't no Milano that's for
> sure. The GTV6/Milano was one of the sweetest handling packages Alfa
> ever
> built, or anyone for that matter. Anyone who drives a Milano or GTV6 and
> then buys a BMW is certifiable. No one built a car like that in modern
> times, and you'll never drive cars like those again. Too expensive to
> build
> one with that level of sophistication, and what did they charge for
> them? A
> steal, even with the build quality problems.

I agree.