1750 differential

       I do not know why anyone would want to put a 1750 rear axle in a 1984
spider.  The 84 already has a 4.10 ratio, plus the 84 has limited slip.  The
1750 had no limited slip, plus I understand the axles are slightly smaller.
If you want a 4.56 get a spider rear axle between 1972 and 1980, which will
also have limited slip.
       I mark both rear wheels and the driveshaft or yoke.  Turn both wheels
exactly one revolution and count the number of times the driveshaft / yoke
turns.  It is accurate enough to determine a 4.10 ratio from a 4.56.  If you
want more accuracy, turn the rear wheels 10 revolutions.
       The Alfa limited slip is a stack of driven and undriven disks.  There
are no springs or other devices to tension the stack other than the installed
height of the stack within the case.  To tighten the LSD, cut shim stock and
fit it at both ends of the stack.
       The reason you cannot determine a LSD rear end by jacking up one rear
axle is wear.  Any Alfa with a LSD that has 10,000 or more miles will have
enough wear on the clutch stack to act like an open differential.
       There are some ramps in the Alfa LSD that theoretically apply pressure
to tighten up the clutch stack.  However, the ramps are not very effective in
my experience and work only when both rear wheels have resistance on them.
That is, the ramps will not help if one wheel is on ice or is lifted from the
track in a tight corner.
       So just put enough shims in the rear end to make it effectively
locked.  Then do it again every year or so.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City