Loose lug nuts

Before concentric hubs became commonplace a common source of lug nuts appearing to back off was due to slightly off center tightening of the lug nuts. This is so easy to do but only very occasionally that most times one never thinks of it. You accidentally snug one nut slightly off center on the wheel hole and then all the others are tightened slightly off center. Once the wheel revolves a few times with the weight of the car on it the lug nuts lose their temporary grip on the bolt holes and the wheel seats back on center, leaving just enough slack in the lug nuts to account for the loose fit. Admittedly this is far easier to do with steel wheels but it can also happen with alloys.

One more thought is if you use any lubricant on the studs be sure none gets trapped on the end of a stud. This hydraulically locks the lug nut before it seats firmly onto the wheel. No amount of torque on the nut will overcome the incompressible plug of lube in the end of the nut.

I use only that copper based brake caliper lube on the wheel nuts/bolts on my cars. I put the barest smear on the first set of threads and allow the nut or bolt to spread the lube evenly and thinly down the threads. It works well, the bolts/nuts tighten smoothly and they come off only when you want them to. Hubcentric wheels benefit from a thin smear of the same stuff in the center of the wheel around the hubcentric ring and a bit on the hub/wheel interface to ease removal of the wheel after a winter of salty slush trying to cement the hub and wheel together. this works particularly well with alloys as it prevents any dissimilar metal corrosion from cementing the wheel in place.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L