Re: 164 S v 164L - another view

----- Original Message -----
From: "C M Smith" <cmsmith@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 9:45 PM
Subject: 164 S v 164L

> Here we go. The S has hotter cams, a revised AMM, a slight difference in
> the Cat (two pipes in two pipes out whereas the L has two in and one out,
> but big deal, the S Cat goes into one pipe after that anyway).
>
> The L has 16 less horsepower but only 5 lb ft less torque.
>
> The biggest difference is that the S was attached to a gearbox with a 10%
> shorter final drive. The hp gave no advantage and the torque advantage was
> insignificant compared to the gearbox difference. The L engine is actually
> very well sorted and the taller gearbox allows the car to be really
driven.

> Bottom line: the S wasn't worth the money.
>
> Ideally you should put the S engine into an L to get the taller gearbox
> ratios. Acceleration will be very similar due to the torque figures (the L
> engine is very efficient so Alfa had a hard time improving it for the so
> called S or Sport version)
>
> Cheers
>

> Michael Smith
> White 1991 164L
> Original owner
> --

A different view.  Yes Mike is correct on the numbers but the S is more than
the sum of the stats.

- Adjustable suspension - Sport/Auto - some like it some don't.  I do but
will replace my present shocks with non-auto when the time comes ( cost)
- Adjustable suspension in just about every respect front and rear - Not
just for the AX crowd but the tune the car for the road as well.
- The clutch hydraulics employ a "damper" to handle spirited shifts at high
rpm
- The more aggressive styling of the S set it apart from the other models in
a distinctive but tasteful  way
- The "song" of the S is Pavarotti compared to something less.

If you can get an S do.  If you can't the L and LS are fine Alfas.

Don

91 S
86 Graduate
79 Alfetta