Spider w/ altitude sickness

My '87 Spider doesn't seem to like blasting through the mountains much
(hard to believe, I know...) At 4000 ft where I live it starts fine,
revs great, etc. As soon as I get it up above 6000-7000 feet or so, it
loses power dramatically. As long as I keep the revs above 2500 or so I
can keep moving, but if I let it drop down to idle it hesitates badly
and is very difficult to get revving again. It never did die, though -
still idled at about 800 RPM. I just replaced the air meter hose and
that took care of my hard starting problem, but not this one. Any ideas
would be appreciated - we've got some great mountain roads at 6-7-8000
feet plus I'd like to exploit before the snow falls.

-Jason Arrington
'87 Spider Quad
Springville, UT