re- engine management in new cars...

Not sure where this thread started...  But Fred is absolutely correct in that you can not modify modern control systems without the proper tools that the dealer has.

Some of the tools are pretty cool, though.  With a modern scan tool, one can reprogram the entire car if you needed to, which is actually common.  Sometimes, a small glitch is found that makes the car run better, so the upgrade is sent to dealers, and there you go.

And, yes, the last I heard, Alfa does use Bosch like BMW.  I'm sure there are enough unique thing in the Alfa computers that you can't use BMW or Mercedes computers to talk, though.

Eric Storhok
Powertrain System Development
Powertrain Research and Development
(313)33x75011