Brake fade

Classic brake fade on drum brakes was caused by expansion of the drum away from the shoes. You eventually ran out of pedal travel due to the drum surface moving away from the extreme end of travel of the wheel cylinders. That was caused by heat.

Brake fade on disc brakes cannot be caused by this. Boiling of water contaminants in brake fluid was and remains a serious cause of fade in disc brakes. Also, for a time, brake fluid itself was prone to boil, but matching brake fluid specs to your particular application pretty well eliminates this cause. This was due to heat.

Outgassing of pad material is, I believe, due to heat.

Brake fade is caused by heat, no matter what the actual mechanical cause is.

Pad wear is a result of the friction removing pad material, not directly a result of heat but the friction of course generates heat. Indeed, heat is a necessary result of braking or the car won't slow down. Kinetic energy needs to be converted into potential energy, and heat is it. The hotter your brakes get the better they are working, up to the design limitation when the pad material disintegrates. That burning smell is the pad disintegrating. The brakes will fade at that point. This is due to heat. There are other types of braking technology which are not so dependent upon creating and dissipating heat, but none are used on racing cars and precious few on street cars (though streetcars were notorious for using re generative braking)

While drilled rotors can deal with outgassing, they cannot deal with disintegration of the pad material except by cooling it. I agree drilled rotors have damn all to do with cooling on a street car.

Grooved rotors are even dumber. The grooves can have no significant effect on heat transfer. Indeed, both drilling and grooving reduce the heat absorption capabilities of the rotor due to simple mass reduction, reducing the heat holding capacity of the remaining material. Plus, street brakes are expected to last a long time. The rotors are designed to wear and be replaced. How long do you think those mickey mouse grooves are going to last before rotor wear eliminates them?

Plus, the number one problem facing the street driver is keeping his performance brakes hot enough to work properly, not cooling them off. Most street driving is done with "cold" brakes and the pads are designed accordingly. I drive fast, sometimes very fast. I have NEVER overheated even stock drum brakes, let alone disc brakes. Driving fast on the street involves minimal use of brakes and certainly the kind of repetitive heavy braking experienced when doing hot laps is anathema to the quick street driver.

As Fangio was reputed to say: for fast driving use less brakes and more accelerator. If you are driving in traffic or even alone on the highway, anticipation is the key to successful fast driving. Just about every time you use the brakes you are eating into your average speed and extending your eta. I pride myself on the minimal use of brakes while on the highway. It is a rare highway indeed that requires the kind of high performance brakes that race cars benefit from.

Cheers all and let the flames begin.

PS The responses to my heretical pronouncements on Japanese vehicles were interesting. Some even tried to pretend that Japanese cars were no more reliable than other makes. Well, from the factory door that can be conclusively proved to be absolutely false. Japanese built cars are far more reliable on average than those of any other maker. Even Japanese cars manufactured in other countries tend to be more reliable than the average for that country. It's the system they use which others have emulated with similar improvements in quality. As the Japanese cars age, I concede that reliability depends on how they have been driven and far more important, how they have been serviced. It is distinctly possible that Japanese car dealers have less experienced mechanics. It can probably be proved that owners of Japanese cars in general neglect proper maintenance and the cars suffer accordingly in the hands of subsequent owners. I find the quality of service for my Alfa and for my SAABs to be of a very high quality. But the mechanics and service people get lots of experience fixing them don't they?
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner