164 Clutch peddle problem

I am having problems with the clutch peddle on my 1993 164 TS.  The clutch
peddle is sticky and is now increasingly staying on the floor after pressing
it.

I checked the fluid level and the container was empty, so I refilled hoping
this would improve this but it has made no difference at all.  I had the
brake pads changed a few weeks ago so maybe this accounts for the lack of
fluid (it was not the best garage I had seen).

Any ideas what the problem could be, what happens to a clutch cylinder if it
runs without fluid.

Steven
164TS
Cumbria UK