P4000s

In a message dated 10/29/2002 1:58:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>  His
> recommendation is the 'new' Pirelli 4000 - it has a recently redesigned
> carcass.  It is all-season rated but wasn't really designed that way;
> much like radial tires are rated as 'snow' tires.  The 'new' ones are
> supposed to be much better than the 'old' 4000s.  The price is around
> $65/each - much in accord with the RE950s.
>
>     Anyone have any experience with these new Pirellis?

I replaced a set of "old" P4000s with "new" P4000s earlier this year on the
GTV6.  I liked the old ones and they performed well for a good amount of
time.  They weren't great as far as being sticky, etc. but they were good,
and the trade as always is the sticky ones don't last too long and for my
driving needs I'd rather have the longevity that the stickitude.  But, by the
time they were ready to replace I'm sure they weren't performing the same as
when new, so when I drove with the new "new" P4000s, it felt like a
significant improvement.  Whether this had to do with the tire model, the
fact they were actually brand new, and on a fresh alignment, made it a little
hard to compare old to new in any honest way.  I'm happy with them.

My BW loved the old 509s on the Milano, and she also likes the Michelin
Energy tires, so when the Spider needed tires, I got her a set of those for
Valentine's Day.  They're also good but not as fattening as traditional
chocolates.  I myself don't like their driving characteristics as well as the
Pirellis, and she feels just the opposite way.   That is what makes the
world, and the tires, go round, I suppose.

If you get the P4000s, you won't be cheated; they are good tires by any
measure and sell for a fair price (the Michelins are a good deal more
expensive).   People have talked about the Potenzas and I guess they are also
new wine in old bottles.  I had a set of Potenzas years ago on the GTV6 and I
hated them; reminded me of Fred Flintstone's dino car with the stone wheels.
And talk about noisy!  Perhaps the new composition is better.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA