daily use Alfas

I don't have a GTV6, but I use my older-than-that Alfas for daily use, and
have done since 1977.  I have three running Alfas, plus a couple other cars,
so there is always some kind of backup vehicle available.  But I don't
expect my Alfas to crap out.  The times I've been stranded in an Alfa were
my fault, with one exception:

1977: Giulia TI distributor shorted out a block from home. Towed home.
1983: Giulia Super developed small radiator leak, which I ignored in the
face of good evidence on the temp gauge, and blew a head gasket east of
Cholame, CA, near where James Dean died.  Towed home.  I could have limped
on if I'd stopped sooner and refilled with water periodically.
1985: Giulia TI ran out of gas on Bay Bridge (gas gauge didn't work)
1987: Giulia TI ran out of gas in SF twice (gas gauge still didn't work)

I've had a number of other roadside crap-outs over the years that I managed
to jury-rig to get the car home without incident.

My wife and I have been stranded more by breakdowns in her BMW 535i (clutch
and electrical problems) than in my Alfas. Granted the BMW is a lot more
complex, and goes 12,000 miles per year, and the Alfas a lot less.  I
believe that old Alfas, including SPICA cars, being relatively simple and
strong, are quite reliable once repaired to, and maintained in, a reasonable
condition.  Anyone who's seen my current Giulia Super knows it's no honey,
but it's essentially solid.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register