exhaust fumes 73 spider

 Please help,
 is it common to have exhaust fumes coming from the rear trunk area and into
the cockpit with the top up(espeacially with windows down)?I can smell the
fumes traveling from the rear of cockpit to the driver/passenger seat and out
the windows.The problem gets real intense upon decelaration.I checked the
trunk seal,it is ok.No exaust leaks,it still has the factory rear down
exhaust tip.

  The car has always had problem but now that i drive it more often,it is the
only thing that irritates the heck out of me( not to mention almost killing
me).

   I've seen some alfa race cars with the exhaust coming out in front of the
drivers side rear tire,does that work?Do these cars have the same problem?

   Giuseppe
 73spider(gas chamber)
 86gtv6