Yeah! Broken Alfetta :(

Hello Digesters,

My 78 Alfetta Sedan started making a nice put-put sounds on the way into work
today...not unlike the exhaust note from the Autopia car ride at Disneyland. I
thought maybe I had a hole in my exhaust or something.

20 miles later, when on a side street...I started to hear a loud belt noise. I
would have stopped earlier, but the commute stank this morning, and I was
hoping to make it to work without having to look under the hood. No luck. I
decided to pull over and inspect.

As I thought, the noise was coming from the air pump belt...but the put-put
part is what ruined my morning. It appears that one of the studs for the
headers had broken off, and the put-put is coming from that part of the
header. From what I can tell, part of that whole "bracket" that holds the air
pump and alternator (?) in place, also attaches at that stud. Maybe its just a
bolt? Not a stud? The others are a stud.

I tightened up the other nuts and bolts...trying hold it all together till I
get could the other 5 miles to work. I risked it and made it to work...now the
car is stuck.

I don't know what the heck is up. Is this a "normal" occurrence?

Ted
HMB, CA

78 Alfetta Put-Put Sedan :(