RE: Oil Leak and Overheating

Chris,

    I have an 88 528e and had an oil leak around the front of the engine.
I checked the bolt in question and it was fine. Mine turned out to be
the oil sending unit. It was pushing oil up the enclosed wires and it
was leaking out behind the distributor at the front of the engine.
follow the wires from the oil sending unit and watch the area with
the engine running. Clean the front of the engine with a solvent if
you can't find it.

To do the bolt just remove it, clean it with brake clean or carb cleaner
and apply some silicone and put it back in.

As far as over heating, do you hear the fans running while you are hot?
To test the temp sensors if they are one wire they usually ground themselves
when hot or they open the circuit. If there a two wire unit they probably
short the two wires together. Again check them with an ohm meter. If you
don't have an ohm meter you can get one from Radio Shack for under $10.
Also check your thermostat, how long has it been in the car? You can
check it by dropping it in a pan of water on the stove and see if it
opens when the water gets close to boiling. It's just as easy to put
a new one in at that point. Also check your radiator, the cross flow tubes
may be clogged, you will have to remove the upper radiator hose and look
in with a light. A radiator will be a little more expensive to replace.

Good luck, let me know what you find.
Dave Orr