[bmw] Replacing E34 Windshield

What's the basic procedure for replacing the windshield on a 1994 540iA?
The molding around the windshield already blew off when I and a big truck
passed each other at high speed.  My windshield has several cracks so I am
ready to replace it anyway.  With the molding off I noticed a total of 16
two inch plastic clips along the top and sides of the windshield.
What's their function?
Do I have to replace those with the windshield (and perhaps they may also
break)?
Anything else that I need to purchase to do this job (in addition to the
glass)?

It seems like I could push (from the inside) the existing windshield off .
Is this the case?

TIA,
tsp
'94 540iA