Re: [bmw] Test drove a 1997 BMW M3...

 Mike,

I agree with "tsp".  All clearing the codes does is turn off the check engine
light.  It doesn't fix the problem.  I'd want a report on what the codes
were, and what was done to fix them.  If the Inspection II really was just
completed, all that should be included in the paperwork (which the dealer
should have
on computerised file).  Without this, you're looking at a big unknown.  Even
something relatively simple could be quite expensive.  For example, the car
has four O2 sensors.  You're looking at (IIRC), over $100 per sensor for
parts.....

The shifter is probably in need of replacement bushings.  It should feel very
direct and connected.  Is there any sloppy movement when the car is in gear?
If you can move the lever more than 1/2 to 1", then it needs an overhaul.  No
big deal, except you have to get under the car, and the exhaust and
driveshaft are in the way, so it's a little time-consuming.  However, from
what you say
about the clutch, it may be on the way out, so you might have all that apart
anyway (great time for a UUC lightweight flywheel and M5 clutch, short shifter
and exhaust if it is).  It may just be leaky or improperly bled hydraulics;
E36's clutch slave cylinders are sensitive. to proper bleeding.  The dealer
may
be willing to do something there, so at least you'll know what you're looking
at.  Again, if the inspection II really was done recently, and the brake and
clutch fluid bled, then it may have been a bleeding error.  If not, the clutch
condition should have been remarked on by the service tech.  Clutches aren't
cheap, obviously, mostly from the installation cost.

Pet odour is a bitch (LOL).  Professional detailing can go a long way to
recti
fying this.  I suprised the dealer isn't doing all of this.  The typical
approach to consignment is that the dealer gets to keep the incremental profit
above the customer's stated minimum sale price, so it's in their best
interests
to make the car look as nice as possible.   Still, it is 7 years old (I know
1997 doesn't seem that long ago), so some wear and tear is perfectly normal.

Don't worry about the missing undertray.  They all do that, sooner or later.
Either put back a stock one (but reinforce the mounting points), or consider
an aftermarket piece.  JT Designs has one.

If the cone air filter is shielded, it should be fine.  Foam (ITG) is
prefered over cotton (K&N), although I have the latter.  The fact that the air
filter
is there makes me wonder if it has aftermarket programming in the ECU, too,
although that's harder to check (and may have been overwritten if the
inspection II really was just completed).  Either way, stock airboxes turn up
on eBay
and other places.  Buy one, then sell your cone filter to the "JDM" boy-racer
crowd back on eBay.  My '95 has a K&N (installed by previous owner).  It works
just fine, and I do enjoy the induction noise when I romp on it.  I will
likely go with a Conforti set up, along with cams, etc. at some point, and try
sell my "premium" Autothority filter on "da Bay", too.

Other points to look for: fragile radiators, rear shock mounts, worn shocks
(you should consider replacing all those at the 61k miles he car has, along
with the RTAB's, if they're still the originals).  A '97 should have a metal
impeller water pump, so you should be OK there, but a new thermostat and 'stat
housing in aluminium is cheap insurance.

Don't want to scare you away.  Almost any car at that age and mileage will
have some issues.  That's usually why people sell them!  Assuredly, based on
the
items you've noted, there's nothing there that can't be fixed, with a little
time and money.  So, enjoy the car, if you buy it.  If you don't, there are
quite a lot of choices in used M3's these days, so you'll certainly find
another
one if this one doesn't work out (or the dealer can't give you adequate
answers to legitimate questions).

HTH,

Martin Bullen
'95 M3
'97 Z3 2.8

P.S.  Local BMW/VW dealer wouldn't be Devon Hill, in PA would it?