[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

733i shaking problem

I have a 1984 BMW 733i.  The problem is that, once you go above 70mph,
the car starts shaking but it seems that sometimes it doesn't vibrate as
much on some days or even some trips on the same day.  I had the tires
(the ones before the Michelins mentioned below) balanced twice at different
places but it did not make a difference.

Recently I replaced all 4 tires with Michelin MXV4's (balanced twice), got
new front struts, tie rods, and wheel bearings (after 150K miles they
were due).

None of this made a difference.  The car still shakes.  Why?  The 4
mechanics, 3 of which are BMW factory trained, don't know why the car
does this.

I have been recently given suggestions to check the lubrication of the
differential, transmission, and other drivetrain parts, as well as to
get the tires balanced while they are still on the car.  I have not done
these yet.

For a car billed as 'the ultimate driving machine,' it should certainly
exhibit a better ride.  I hope it is not something inherent in the body
that is causing this problem.

Any advice?  It will be very much appreciated.

- --
Larry Rubin               |  Ellen Sauerbrey for Maryland Governor
N3QGH                     |
larry@domain.elided    |  It's time to make a change for the better!