[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

'78 320i heater question

My '78 320i's radiator was pretty clogged (running hot all the
time, but I managed to flush/shake enough crud out of it
to get normal temps.

I'm assuming the heater's in similar condition, because it
doesn't get all that hot (I'm used to flesh-melting volvo heaters ;)
In fact, I can't tell when it's on or off, because the cable is
disconnected from the lever, and it seems that there are two ways
to connect it back:

(1) connect to primary (control) lever which pulls the cable
    up when the lever goes up (towards 'warm')

(2) connect to secondary lever, connected to the primary lever,
    which goes down (and pushes the cable down) when the control
    level goes up (towards 'warm').

When I manipulate the heater control directly, I don't
feel much difference heat-wise when the cable is pulled up or
down.

Anyone know:

- - when the heater valve is open or closed (cable pulled up
  or pushed down?

- - is it likely the valve's messed up, since there' not
  much difference in temp between open and closed?

- - what kind of hell am I looking at in pulling the heater
  core for repair/replacement?

Thanks!

Mark