[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

brave new digestified world (clip and save)

i appreciate that the suddeness of the conversion of these
three lists to digest-only is rather startling; trust me,
it was the only direct way to insure that the lists stayed
up and running at all.

a couple of people have asked me for reminders on what the
proper addresses are for communication via the mailing lists;
what follows is the new, improved drill.

general mail for all the list readers should be sent to:

    italian-cars@domain.elided
    bmw@domain.elided
    ihc@domain.elided

the following addresses also work, and the behaviour of
the lists are identical in all cases:

    italian-cars-digest@domain.elided
    bmw-digest@domain.elided
    ihc-digest@domain.elided

the request addresses for each list are now as follows:

    italian-cars-digest-request@domain.elided
    bmw-digest-request@domain.elided
    ihc-digest-request@domain.elided

the old addresses (bmw-request, ihc-request, italian-cars-request)
still exist, and are automatically forwarded to the new -request
addresses.

majordomo requests sent to these addresses will automatically
have the proper list name associated with them.  majordomo
requests may also be sent to

    majordomo@domain.elided

requests sent to majordomo must have the list name in the command.
thus, you can unsubscribe from bmw-digest two ways.  you can
send

unsubscribe

to bmw-digest-request@domain.elided

or you can send

unsubscribe bmw-digest

to majordomo@domain.elided

it is not essential to include an email address in subscribe
and unsubscribe requests; majordomo will extract an address
from the email header.  it will use an address from the
one address appears there; if not, it will extract the one from
the From: field.  If you want to include your real name, put it
in parenthesis along side of your email address (majordomo is
NOT the same as listserv or listproc; do not send a request
with your real name instead of an email address.  it will only
confuse matters.)  the following is a legitmate example of full
specification:

subscribe italian-cars-digest foo@domain.elided (Bobby Foo, Bar University)

finally, there are owner- addresses for communication with
the human administrator (which would be me):

owner-italian-cars@domain.elided
owner-italian-cars-digest@domain.elided

and the owner- addresses for bmw and ihc are formed in the
obvious way.

cheers,
  richard