[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fragile Factory Wheels?

Has anyone experienced the problems with the stock BMW wheels that I
have experienced?  One of the reasons I received such a great deal on
my used '84 318i was because the car shimmied badly.  The previous
owner assumed that the car required extensive front end work.  The
real problem was that the wheels were bent.   During the test drive
the car was vibrating so much that I couldn't see out the rear view
mirror. (The mirror was shaking and making the view fuzzy.)  I had to
replace three of the wheels with ones that I purchased at salvage
yards for $75 each.  I had to be very selective at the salvage yards
because most of the wheels they had were just as bad or worse than the
ones already on my car.

I would guess that this is a very common problem.  Do most folks
eliminate the problem by purchasing aftermarket wheels of a different
design?  Any recommendations?

BTW, I'm now running on Michelin XGT H4 tires and I love them.  I
haven't seen many postings about tires and I would like to hear the
different opinions.  Are any readers using BFGoodrich Comp TAs on
their BMW?

Jay