[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: power antenna problem, recommendation?

>	my bimmer's power antenna keeps getting stuck at 1 section...
>	any recommendation?

The problem is too much total friction.  The power antenna has a
circuit that checks the current draw of the motor to measure it's
load, and when it exceeds a threshold, stops it.  An old antenna
mast tends to stick some, creating more friction, but also dirt
tends to fall down through the antenna into the gears in the motor.
There is an idler pulley down there that collects the dirt and when
it starts to stick, adds a lot of friction.

You could replace the mast, and the reduction in friction would
probably fix the problem for a time, but it would reoccur.  The
right fix is to pull out the motor, pop it appart (several plastic
clips holding together a clamshell case) and clean the internals.
Total time to take it out, apart, clean and reinstall is about an
hour.

If you need more details mail me, but the job is pretty obvious.

good luck,
rick
'87 325es
'90 325iX