[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Clutch/slave cylinder, Metric Mechanic, and misc. ramblings

I had a recent experience similar to Ian's (not the opportunity of spending
joyous hours on a prize '02), but interestingly enough it was regarding the
clutch slave or master cylinder on my diamond black baby, an '88 535is. One
morning I had started her up and went to engage the clutch and. . .the padal
fell to the floor. I also immediately suspected the slave or master
cylinder, however, it turned out to be a hose that had ruptured. It turned
out to be an $82.00 hose! :(  All works fine now.

Which brings me to a dilemma. This '88 535is runs too good! It has 115 K
miles on the odometer and except for getting all choked up when winding
through the gears, (due to my poor judgement in choosing to go with a Midas
replacement exhaust system, including converter, instead of o.e.m.), it is
such a joy to own and drive.   My wife is always begging me, "Can I take
your car?"  She drives a '93 SHO (a BMW wannabe if there ever was).  Oh, my
point. . .I have been considering a mechanical makeover, that is engine
rebuild, clutch rebuild, cooling system upgrade, and exhaust system
replacement*again*.  I have been putting this major operation off for some
time (because everything works so well now), but I do lust for the
additional performance benefits. I have about memorized the catalogue from
the Metric Mechanic of Kansas City, and before I take the final step of
setting up an appointment to have the work done, (I'd like to have it done
there), I was wondering if there are any live testimonials regarding MM
upgrades to your own precious babies?

I am new to the list, so "Hi all!"  I am not new to the blue and white
*roundel*. The love affair started 20 years ago with a '69 2002. I was
hooked. I then gave the '69 to my wife and I got a '73Tii-generous, aren't
I?!;)  Since then we have had '77 and '78 530i 's, an '83 533i and my '88
535is (M5 wannabe). I like the character and feel of my old E28 series car
(my wife keeps asking me if I want to get a new one-although I may have to
go tempt myself with an M3!)

So that's all (I heard someone say <Thank goodness>) for now. Thanks for
letting me post.

BMW-CCA *64608*
Ted Phelps
AlphMega@domain.elided
AlphMega@domain.elided

"If we don't change our direction, we will likely end up where we are heading."
                             -another old Chinese proverb