[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Won't start in the cold...

I was recently experiencing a problem with my 1980 320i, where
if the temperature was below freezing it would either not fire
at all or just give a few weak coughs while trying to start. New
plugs didn't help, although the old ones looked awful.

It turned out that moisture had gotten into the coil spark cable
boot at the distributor center post, and although it was not
enough to cause a problem when liquid, it inhibitted spark
when frozen. The associated corrosion led me to replace the cap,
rotor and all spark cables - no more problem.

- --
- ---
John R. Lupien
lupienj@domain.elided