[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Importing a car into CA

Stanley Phan asks about bringing a car into California.  Having just done
this, last summer, here is what I found:

1.  If the car is a California legal car (as shown on the emissions tag under
the hood), you just have to go to a state authorized emissions testing shop,
and get a smog test.

2.  If the car is not a California legal car (e.g. a 49 state version), but
*was* manufactured for the U.S. market, and is later than 1975, there is a
one-time fee ($300?) for the smog impact.  I believe you may still have to
get smog inspected, and that the car still has to have all of its OEM smog
equipment installed.

3.  If the car is a grey market car (not originally manufactured for the US
market), you are required to have EPA & DOT releases for the car, *and* they
are required to be on particular, specified forms.  The Feds do not keep
records, so if your releases are on the wrong forms, you would incur *great*
expense in bringing the car into California.

4.  Since you are in San Diego, I know a guy there with lots more knowledge
about this than I have.  He is Carl Nelson, at La Jolla Independent BMW, at
(619)488-1555.  Give him a call, and say hello for me.

Keith Wollenberg
KKWollen@domain.elided
88M5, 72 Tii Touring