[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 528i Boysen muffler

> From: tedcrum@domain.elided (Ted Crum)
> Has anyone ever heard of a Boysen exhaust? I am shopping for an
> original-style cat-back system for my 528i, and one local supplier has
> that brand. He says, as I suspect all dealers do about their systems, that
> they are a supplier to BMW. I know that Factory is best, but BMW wants
> $700 before CCA.
>
> I note that BMW systems now come in two pieces for this car, but no clamps
> are shown. Should I MIG weld the parts together before installation?

Well Ted, I just recently had to change the muffler on my 528i.  My local
mechanic ordered a Boysen muffler for my car because is was cheeper than
other brands.  Supposedly Boysen does supply BMW.  Although it was the
correct muffler, it fit very poorly (i.e. the bends in the pipes weren't
exactly correct and it would have required some bending around to get it
to hang in a stress free way that wasn't touching parts of the car).  So
we sent it back and ordered a Bosal.  The Bosal was about $30 more but it
fit perfect.  My system is welded now.  However when I did it before about
5 years ago I didn't have a welder so I expanded the pipes slighly on the
muffler and made a slip joint that I just clamped with a u-clamp.  It
worked fine for 5 years.

p.s. I used Plastix glue to glue my plastic odometer drive gear on my
528i.  The odometer has been working so far, I guess I'll keep my fingers
crossed.

Walt Barie (wgbst4+@domain.elided, barie+@domain.elided)
Graduate Student
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh

'79 320i DSP Solo II Car
'80 528i

Of course what I say in no way reflects the views of the University....