[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: 535i ABS, brake or tail light warning lamp

  as we all know, 1985 marked the start of the 535i in the U.S.
  ('83 & '84 had the 533i and the E28 bodies as well).  The '85
  535i came with ABS.

  when I had my '85 (535i) I also experienced the intermittent
  brake/tail light failure warnings.  The causes may be:

	- bad connection between the bulb socket and the
	  metal plate it screws into (corrosion...)

	- here's another more tricky one - corrosion builds
	  up inside the license plate light assembly on one
 	  of the contacts where the metal folds back on itself.

	  a quick look and it looks o.k.

	wiring	-||--\   bulb
		 ||   \

		  ^

	  corrosion buildup area

	  this same corrosion may cause your cruise control to
	  intermittently fail - i.e. you go over a bump and no
	  cruise. you reset it, and it's fine for miles or until
	  you hit a bump large enough to disturb the connection
	  (how do I know?)

- -- Peter