[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tires

Here's some IMHO stuff to contribute to the current talk on tires.

I have used 3 makes of tires on my 333i turbo.

Pirelli P7
These are great for leaving clouds of tire smoke & spining the wheels in any
gear, they probably save stress on the gearbox but aren't really a serious tire.

Goodyear Eagle NCT
Much better with good grip & reasonable wear - a very good all use tire. (I
destroyed these doing some laps around Silverstone!) Not much good in the
wet. 12,000 miles.

Yokohama AVS-1
Probably the best tire around. Wonderful grip & great feedback - progressive
tire. These are very noisey and "play" tunes from differing road surfaces.
Expect only 6-8000 miles if you drive like me! BTW The "holes" don't do
anything - they're just for show!

I have also compared Goodyear Eagle NCT's with Bridgestones on my old Ford
Escort RS Turbo Mk1. The Bridgstones had good grip & were great in the wet.
However they can break away very quickly without much warning.

A friend of mine with a Vauxhall (Opel) Cavalier 4x4 Turbo bought a set of
Pirelli P Zero's & loves them. - They aren't available in my tire size though.

All tires are European spec.

You can read about my 400lbsft torque car from my home page.

Regards
Nick
njh@domain.elided
Home Page: http://www.cityscape.co.uk/users/ai87/index.html