[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

European Model Range

>        I have a friend who is presently spending some time in Germany.
>The car he was able to rent is a BMW 316.  What is this?

In europe, the E36 model range is a bit larger than the US.  We have available:

316 (no cabrio as far as I know)
318
320
323 (2.5 liter engine)
328
M3

These are all E36, not compacts (altough I have seen pictures of the M3 compact
prototype... still has the old rear suspension, though).

Finally, model designations in Europe are not the same as the states.  All body
styles, 4 door, coupe and cabrio, would show the same badge, i.e. 328i.  Some
models are called Sport because they include a certain subset of options, but
even so are still badged with the i only (I think the only exception here is
the 318is, because of the different engine).  I know that the 328 in France is
also sold in a 328 Coupe Sport version (M-technik suspension, 16" sport souble
spoke wheels, sport seats, lim. slip, etc.), but had I gotten the badge for
mine it still would only have shown 328i (even though I call it 328is! ;-).

There you have it.  Hope it was useful and not a waste of bandwidth, though
most of you probably knew all this already.

Alberto.Schileo@domain.elided
Paris, France
'96 328is