[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Halo Products - But it costs money to do that!!!!???? {Real long}

Hi fellow list members

I have a long story to tell you that just fuses me to no end.  It is
about a small boy (OK so he is over 40, play along), a helmet and a
supplier that can't decide when to issue a credit.

I was looking for a Bell M2 helmet (dad wears glasses).  Mom said what a
great Father's Day present.  Dad jusmps for joy, gets the old visa out
and calls Bell Helemts for a stocking distributor, they recommend Halo
Products (subsidiary of Bell Helmets?) surpirse.  Dad calls vendor tells
then the measurements of his head in inches and they say try a 7 3/8"
may be tight, but all helmets are different.  Visa #, expiration date,
by the way ship it UPS red +$34.00.

Well Mr Helmet arrives and with a balacala, it is way too tight despite
the wishes and dreams of both the salesman and Dad that it will compress
with time.  Dad figures that it is better to wait and avoid the headache
he gets after 10 min in the helmet.  The 7 1/2" will probably be
shipping in two weeks, Bell has problems with the mold. too late for the
D/S. {side note Dad's first warning should have been that the February
run of these helmets is going to start shortly and it is now June).  Dad
wants to beleive that the M2 will be there by the 21st so he plays the
game.

Dad calls Halo, returns the helmet, pays the freight back.  He then
calls Halo after a week or so to make sure they got it and learns that
there is another unexpected delay in the 7 1/2 run by Bell and it will
be another couple of weeks (as the salesman laughs).  What is a boy to
do, OK , he'll wait.  Well the June Visa bill arrives (closes July 2)
and the $300 charge for the 7 3/8 helmet is there for June 5, but no
credit??  Strange, he knows they got it.  Dad calls Halo, they inform
him that of course they are holding the credit open because when the 7
1/2" arrives they will appy the credit to the new helmet!!  They hope to
ship end of July, becasue Bell is having paint problems.  He is told
that for them to issue him a credit, it costs them transaction fees for
the credit and the charge.  That is double fees for them!!!  (my gawd,
what was Dad thinking, how selfish of him).  Dad asks for the manager,
Mr Bob Booth is not there.  Give Mr Booth 800 number to call and
politely hang up.

Three weeks later, after still no helmet or call from Mr Booth, Dad
calls Halo  and learns that ehy hope to ship mid August.  When
questioned on the still awaiting credit the story of their costs is
repeated.  When asked about the call of Mr. Booth we now learn that this
is their policy.  If they can get your money and never have to give it
back they will (as best I can interpet the policy).  Also they only have
one guy to track, place orders make coffee, keep the boss from talking
to real customers and deal with stock issues and therefore does not have
time to check each of the 400 orders on the books to see who is due a
credit because of a late delivery by the factory.

Moral of the story:  Dad should have informed them of his standing
policy of 40+ years, (a) cancel the order and force them to issue the
credit, (b) find another vendor that has changed with the times and has
policies that aren't 37 years old.

Sorry Halo, you screwed up on this one.  I can vote with my wallet, if
you'll ever give my money back!!  So I have just broken the known adage
of advertising that if you have a disgruntled customer, they will tell 9
out of 10 people they know.  I just told 2500!  Better to keep your
customers gruntled than disgruntled.

thanks for the airtime
scott