[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #72

>Dear Steve
>
>  Thank you for your input on this thread. Could you share some more
details :

> 1.What is the warranty on the replaced  transmission?
	I have since sold the car but I remember it being something like 1 year /
12,000 miles on the new unit. It may have been more. It was whatever the
warranty is when you replace a trans. at the dealer.

> 2. Is the transmission a ZF factory remanufactured unit or a local
rebuild?
	It was a factory rebuild. I remember the dealer saying I was lucky they
always keep 2 in stock since the trip from Europe takes a little while.

> 3. If the transmission had failed  at 80000 miles(like a year after you
had purchased
> the  L7) , would the dealer have arranged for BMW NA  to pay? Could you
find out  the
> limitation on this warrantee?

	The failure occurred under interesting circumstances since they dealer
(not me) had sent it out to the smog place for a smog check. The smog place
came back to the dealer and did admit to leaving it running "a little"
longer than they should have. I don't know what the situation would be a
year later. If I took it to a smog place and they admitted to leaving it on
too long I would make sure they (the smog place) paid for it. If smog place
broke the trans. 1 year after buying the car and I took it back to the
dealer I think they would have told me to have the smog place cough it up.
> 4. Any details you can find out about this unpublished warrantee

> will certainly be very helpful to the membership  with
> ZF 4hp22/24   automatic  transmissions.

	I don't think there really is any warrantee (published or unpublished) on
these units. My situation was unique since I was buying a used car from a
BMW dealership. They couldn't transfer the title to me if the car had a
broken trans. since they would have to disclose it and thus I would back
out of the deal so I think pulled a few strings with BMW NA since they are
a high volume dealer. However, anyone is fortunate enough to have a smog
place "break" their transmission by leaving it on too long (which I hear is
common practice) should go ahead and complain to the smog place that their
non-spec testing breaks sensitive transmissions.

Steve Meade
smeade@domain.elided
'87 325is blk / tan 132kmi
'91 735iA blk / tan 88kmi w/ BFG Comp T/A ZR's
Mission Viejo, CA