[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> Alternator Output

James <tangile@domain.elided> said:
> I recently purchased a newly remanufactured alternator for my 02.
> I ... was surprised to find out that it is only a 35 ampere alternator.
> I thought that the stock U.S. version alternator was 55 amperes?
> I was wondering if anybody has done a conversion to ...
> a bigger alternator (70 amperes or more).  Are there other BMW
> alternators that would also bolt on to an 02?

Most '02s have 45-ampere alternators.  Some unspecified cars have
an "earlier" 35-ampere alternator.  I recall an article somewhere
(digest, Roundel, DFB, Headlights, et al) describing how to install
a higher-current alternator from another model (320i maybe) in an '02.
My best efforts to save and retrieve that article are for naught.
Three cheers to the digester who can produce it.

Curt Ingraham
ingraham@domain.elided