[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: <E30> fan clutch

From: sean thompson <sean.ti@domain.elided>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 17:16:15 +0000
Subject: fan clutch

I am trying to replace the fan clutch in my E30 and have the nice 32mm
wrench necessary but that damn nut won't budge. Bentley states to give it =20=
=20
sharp whach with the heel of your hand and it comes right off. BULLS#$%!  =20
my
hand is bruised and that thing is still on. the belt slips on the pulley  =20
and
it is tight. Is there anything to hold to keep everything still?
Sean
***********************************8

Sean,

First off, you know the nut is left hand right?  To loosen it you must  =20
turn it in the direction that would normally tighten. Otherwise use a  =20
10mm wrench to secure the fan belt pulley by putting the open end on one  =20
10mm bolt head and leveraging it against one of the other bolt heads to  =20
keep the pulley from turning.  Sometimes this will work.  Also try a  =20
little penetrating oil on the large nut at the threads.

Good luck,
Jeff
    Jeff Schnellinger (jms@domain.elided)   =20
             Project Engineer         =20
    Kistler Instrument Corporation, USA    =20