[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange shifting sounds.

     Hello all,

     I have just purchased my first BMW - '96 328is (E36), 5 speed, sport
     package.  The car is 7 months old 8k mi, and I've been enjoying it
     tremendously for 2 weeks now.

     This weekend I've noticed a strange sound which accompanies shifting
     from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, as well as downshifting to 2nd from 3rd.
     It's pretty hard to describe the sound; it's a deep yet subtle "thump"
     kind of sound, and it appears to emanate from underneath/rear of the
     vehicle. It happens during the shift only when the car is moving.  Has
     anyone experienced or has any idea would this could be?

     Otherwise the car is awesome - best car I've ever owned.  My only
     other gripe about the car is that the OBC indicates 3 mph below the
     analog speedo at approx. 75 mph.  Is this error correctable?  Which
     one is most likely the correct speed?

     Thanks...

     Rob

     '96 BMW 325is (8k mi)