[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: '91-'92 M5 Wheels Wanted

> From: "John W. Kjos" <john@domain.elided>
> I'm looking for a set of '91-'92 M5 wheels for my '94 540i. I am told they
> keep the brakes much cooler than aftermarket wheels. Is this the groups
> experience? Does anyone have these wheels for sale?
>
> John (Portland, OR)

I have the wheels but won't sell them.  Has anyone given you an idea of
what these wheels go for???  I hear you can spend around $1100.00 for
these things (that's each!) so have your gold card warmed up.
I have run Summit Point both with and without the wheels.  With them I
got down the front straight quite a few times before the brake fluid
boiled.  Without them it boiled my second time into turn 1.  I brake
hard from about 130 and the stock wheels really seem to help dissipate
heat.
The trip without the stock wheels wasn't one I had counted on driving at
so my brake fluid had been in for about 5 months.  Also, I had Dunlop
D40M2s on so I couldn't stop as short as I can with the R1s that are on
my stock wheels.  That results in being on the brakes longer, but not as
hard; I don't know what effect that had on my results.
- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL