Re: bmw-digest V9 #86 Turbines for power

>In a word, the losses as heat make a generator-wire-motor rig
>unfavorable compared to a simple shaft, much more than the pumping loss
>of a well designed piece of pipe.  Heck, P-47 Thunderbolts had the Turbo
>wAAAY in the back of the plane (behind the wing) and lots of piping, and
>they made power.  not all turbo layouts are efficiently designed, true,
>but many are.

>The need for an intercooler comes as much from the heat of compression
>of the air (at higher boost) as from the transferred heat in the turbo.

Yes, I understand this(in actuality, almost *all* of the temperature
increase is due to compression.  Thermodynamic laws, baby), but if you've
ever looked at the path that air must take to be compressed and then
cooled, you will see that it is very complex with lots of tight bends.
Viscous losses are a source of *incredible* engine inefficiency, especially
at high rpms.  Being able to simplify the path will make the turbo boost
much more efficient.

>Your solution, while elegant, requires some serious iron and copper to
>make work, plus the caps.  All the weight and bulk would negate any
>benefit that I see, but that is me.

Motor and generators don't weigh that much these days.  I'm gonna check
into what a high effiecency motor weighs.  And a small cap bank could be
quite light, unless you were looking for enough juice to light a city block!

Remember that I'm looking for a low bar boost right now, so some
electromechanical ineffifciecnies can be handled.

Kenn
http://www.euromajic.com