<E30> Transmission problem solved !!!

A week ago I mentioned about a friend's '85 318 whose car
quit on him after some shifting maneuvers while doing a
shift from 4th to 1st. The  gear didn't go in and after that the
car could not pick up on any gear. My initial speculation was
one of the circlips on the selector rod had gotten off and
that you could shift from the console but that the gear did not
engage from the selector rod. I was made to assume that
because he said his clutch was in good condition and he
never experienced any problems or rough shifting when
changing gears. That strengthened the basis for my speculation.
Unfortunately the tranny housing in his car has got to go
down before you can see anything or even do anything to
the tranny. With no quick solution in sight he took it to the
mech, The result -- $440 less and a new clutch plate, clutch
cover and a throw out bearing. I went along with him to pick up
his car today, and the mech showed us just how much service
the clutch had given, the lining appeared to be shredded and
the clutch plate was worn out so much that friction had started
eating into the rivets. Even with the clutch as it was, one would
never have guessed. But everyone's happy that its over and
solved.

Mike '86 325 166K