<E36> M3 mirror saga

Fellow BMW enthusiasts!

In an ongoing effort to improve my 3'er both esthetically and performance
wise, I'm on a mission to improve the airflow around the sides of my car.
Specifically - let's M3 style mirror my 328is.

With a tip from a fellow UUC buddy (thanks Ron Browne), I found a great deal
on the M3 mirrors (even got the right color: hell rot)  but alas, no
mounting bases.   My sources tell me that this part (I call it the mounting
base) is a part of the mirror assembly and cannot be purchased separately
from the dealer.   Now, before I totally give up and return the mirror
shells to the owner, it seems that there has to be someone out there who
possibly damaged their M3 mirror(s) in the past and had to replace the whole
unit.  It seems that if there was an impact to the mirror, it would simply
pop out and hang by the wires, leaving the mounting base unmolested.   So,
can anyone email me with any information that may be helpful here?  I don't
care what color they are... as long as they are in decent shape.  Thanks for
your time!

Rob Mudry
BMW CCA #135536
National Capital Chapter