<2002> Qs Carbs/ ignition

I just bought a very nice (*no* rust, service records back X years etc)
1974 2002 and have been learning as much as I can about it..

Haynes manual is on the way..

I have a couple of questions

With the last tank of gas (coincidence?) it idles like crap..
and will stall most of the time

it seems to have a distributor with vacuum advance but the vacuum line
has been disconnected. I'm thinking an electronic ignition is the way
to go (Pertronics? Crane?).

full throttle is no good - stutters and bucks.. is this related to the
distributor being not hooked up right ?

The carb is a Solex but apart from that I have no idea how to identify
it.. it has 2 barrels (one bigger than the other).. what is it?

What is a good carb to keep my eyes out for ? a Weber 32/36 ?

apart from that the car runs great.. it has a 5 speed (from 320i),
13x5.5 BBS mags (320i again), is very tight and happily cruises
along at 80mph..

thanks

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i