<ALL> Steering Rack Question

I acquired a used steering rack from a 318 to replace the
leaking one on my '86 325. The guy who sold it to me told
me that it never leaked. This weekend I had a chance to
examine it and one of the boots has a hole in it that
has some fluid leaking when placed under pressure.
However pressure when applied to one end goes to the
other end as in you can feel some transferred pressure in
the opposite boot like when I squeeze the boot. How can I
tell that the steering rack is intact apart from the boot with
the hole ? Is it possible that only the boot needs to be replaced
and  that the rack wouldn't leak after that ? Thanks.

Mike '86 325