E30 M3 wheel bearings

Do not use E28 wheel bearings on your E30 M3, depsite what many of the
parts houses are saying.  Both FAG and SKF reps here in the US say they are
interchangeable...they are partially correct.  The bearings are identical
but the E28 ABS sensor ring has 96 teeth and the E30 M3 has only 48 teeth.

There are no E30 M3 bearings available from aftermarket suppliers or from
BMW anywhere in the world.  SKF is the manufacturer of this part and has
depleted their stock since changing European production sites back in Feb
98.  In speaking with the SKF rep here in the states, he is uncertain when
this item will become available again as there is not much demand for it.

I've just ordered a $500 cutter for my machine shop to produce a run of 100
of these rings....a used E30 M3 ring is being sent to the metallurgist for
analysis so that we can ensure exact replication.   I will be installing
these rings on new E28 bearings for use on the M3.  In the meanwhile, the
only option is to carefully remove the old ring from your M3 and install it
on a new E28 bearing.  SD

Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com