Re: bmw-digest V9 #197

> Has anybody tried the Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position tire? How does it compare on performance, ride and price?
>

> Regards,
>
> alex

I haven't tried them, but I did read an interesting article in European Car
last night.  Apparently the Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position tire is designed
with a soft layer of rubber underneath the outer compound.  As the tire heat
cycles from normal driving, this soft layer hardens.  By the time the tire
wears down to this soft layer, it has hardened into a compound that is similar
the outer layer when the tire was new.  While wet weather performance degrades
due to shallower channels, dry weather performance remains fairly constant
over the life of the tire.  Neat idea.

This would alieviate a complaint I have with my Dunlops: when new they have
lots of tread and  lots of grip;  15,000 miles later they still have lots of
tread but the grip is gone.

- -Kurt