<E34> Steering Box results

Thanks to all who responded to my request for help on the steering box
dilemma I was having. It is amazing how many E34 owners seem to be
experiencing steering problems! Many helpful hints were given on
steering box adjustment, column lock nut tightening, thrust rod
bushings, etc. Unfortunately I had already gone through all of these
adjustments/fixes before narrowing the problem to the box itself. By
literally getting under the car right at the box, I was able to confirm
that the play was in the box, and not the result of looseness elsewhere.
The steering box adjustment as described increases friction, but did not
get rid of the play.
However, I did find out that the M5 steering is supposedly 9% quicker
than on my 525i, so I will try to find one of these used and mitigate
the sense I have that the steering is too slow at the same time.
So the next question is: Anybody out there parting out an E34 M5 with a
good steering box?

Best regards,
Bob Hazelwood
'93 525i, 5-sp, Sharked and BL/SS'd, H&R + Bilstein
BMW CCA 155184, Boston