New E30 Member

Just a lurker out here saying hello

Although I've been a BMWCCA member since December I just took delivery
of my first BMW on Friday:  An '88 325iS with 60,000 miles.  Obviously
I'm thrilled, and have a million questions.

I've found a few good E30 pages with FAQs and other good stuff for
maintenance and repairs which I am using to answer many questions.
Many, but not all.  A couple of things:

1.    The anti-theft code in the OBC.  Is it really a useful tool?  I
live in NYC (off street parking), so anti theft protection is paramount,

but car alarms draw no notice.  I'd like to hear people's experience
with it?

2.    After the Jim C. chip, I'll be considering the K&N cone filter.
Question:  With the cone taking in air from under the hood, and
therefore hot air, doesn't it negate the benefits of a freer breathing
air filter?  Shouldn't intake air be as cool as possible?

3.    Suspension.  The underpinnings are all original.  How much longer
should I expect them to last?  The car spent it's life in surburban NJ
and CT.  What is a good mild upgrade for this car?  This car will be
driven in the 5 Boroughs (mostly to leave them) so I'm not interested in

anything nearing a racing set-up.

I'd like to add something to the group for those in the NY metropolitan
area:  If you are looking for clean well kept BMW, (or other similar
marques), you could do worse than to review the Sunday NY Times auto
classified section.  There aren't a lot of bargains but there are many
cars in very good condition.

I've bought two (and almost a third) this way.  All from original
owners in very good condition.  I just stick with suburban area codes.
None were modified, and usually with much lower miles then what is
offered in the Roundel.

Glad to be here,
Rob

BMWCCA #148884
1988 325is   <----  happy I can finally say that!

p.s. My apologies if this appears twice.  I first sent it to
owner-bmw-digest