Re: [Q] E36 Rearview Mirror

Ron writes:

> The rearview mirror in my 1995 E36 M3 has an annoying characteristic:
> the day/night position lever.  I have it aligned properly in the day
> setting.  When I flip it to the Night setting, the mirror alignment is
> incorrect (too high), so I need to adjust it to the correct position.
> Of course, when I flip it back to the Day setting the next day, the
> mirror position is now too low, so I need to readjust it.

Ron

The dimming of mirrors can operate 2 different ways.

Depending on how the mirror is tilted the "dimmed" positon can appear
with the tab pulled back, or pushed forward.

My understanding is that the tab should be back (toward you) for the
dimmed setting, and forward for the
regular.

If it is done the otherway around you still can get the 2 operations,
but with the different tilt for the starting point, I have sometimes
noticed the same problem you have.  Any time I get into a strange car
(rental, etc) I check that the mirror is correctly posiitioned with the
tab forward.

This may not be your cause, but you should check this before complaining
to the dealer.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada