RE: bmw-digest V9 #374

I have a '87 535is whose electronic auto transmission is in failsafe
mode (third gear only) and the amber warning light is activated on the
dash. The local shop has diagnosed the problem as a faulty electronic
transmission harness (from computer to transmission). He also says the
harness inside the transmission needs to be replaced. Does this sound
likely?  Is this a do it yourself job?  Has anyone had a similar problem
- - If so, what should I pay for such a repair? The shop wants around
$1,000. The dealer gave me a phone estimate of around $250. Help!

Kent Howard
kenth@domain.elided