<e36> Deep Fried Differential (longish)

A little over a week ago (Saturday) I noticed that I had a slight leak
coming out of my diff.  I promptly called the indie BMW shop that I bring
my car to for service and the said to bring it by the shop on Monday
morning and they would top the diff off.  I then made an appointment to
bring the car in to have the seals replaced on Wednesday.  Well, on
Saturday night I had thought that I  had seriously damaged the
differential.  I lost power and the car made some bad sounds.  I pulled
over and had the car towed to the shop.  The told me that my diff was
shot and that I needed a new one.  They asked me if I would like them to
order one for me, but I declined.  I located a used one from a '97 318is
with 30k on it for $400.00, and promptly purchased it.  I had to pick
something up out of my car last night that I had left in it, and when I
got there (after hours) I noticed that my car was parked (backed in) at
the rear of their gravel lot that is up a hill.  I don't see how it could
have been moved up ther if the diff is fried.  Do any of you have any
ideas?  As soon as I noticed the problem I pulled over, was it too late?

Take care,
Matthew Stellas
1995 318i
BMWCCA
UUC

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]