E28 no clutch when cold

Could someone help me diagnose this problem.  My 535is has zero clutch when
it has sat out in the cold overnight.  It takes quite a while to get into
3rd or 4th gear, then and only then will it go into 1st and 2nd.  This
happens when I leave the car in neutral, but not when I leave the car in
gear.  OK, so I should maybe leave it in gear.  But the problem is that it
does it again the next time I stop at a light.  It continues this pattern
for the first 15 minutes or so, until it's warmed up, then the problem goes
away.  The fluid level is good.  Any ideas?

Ken Mitchell
Druham, NC
'87 535is
'80 528i