<E36> Thermostat and Alternator failures

I took my '92 325i in for service this week to get my tires swapped and an
oil change. I also found out my thermostat was dead. The car had been
indicating it was running "cool" according to the temperature gauge so this
was a bit of a tip off. How often do these things usually last?
Additionally, my alternator's bearing was getting noisy so I'm having it
replaced as well. I just consider myself lucky it didn't sieze up or fail on
the road leaving my stranded somewhere. These seemed to be original
equipment on the car. It has 123,000 on it now. Any other high mileage
E36er's out there that have recent failures to report? On the positive side
my car should be in good shape when I get it back.

Regards,

John

1990 750iL
1992 325iA